The wind blows
Strong, yet warm
Soft brushes lift my hair.
A spring wind in Autumn
Rattling the bamboo
Sweeping, incoming waves shaking trees.
Seeds filling the air, like a cloud of butterflies.
A spot of rain dropped,
A singular wetness upon my face.
Its been a hard summer – heat hit, spring was barely a whisper.
Throughout the British Columbia, fires exploded caused by lightening and stupid humans. Destroying hectares of timber, cleansing the forests of beetle killed jack pine and slash; and threatening homes.
Smoke, soot and particle matter (PM2) replaced oxygen.
Once again, we rescheduled our vacation, hope holding, before finally cancelling.
Rain replaced heat, sudden heavy rains saturating the earth – good for the fires but not vacations – the fires, though held continued to burn, sending smoldering clouds of smoke, soot and PM2 into the environment. Temperatures tumbled towards winter, Bronchitis replaced smoke.
October’s closing in; we grasp onto the autumn wind, holding past memories of softer springs, easier summers and long warm autumns with leaves gradually changing and plan for a long winter.
One of the challenges of starting any new project is figuring out the tools you’ll need to do the job.
As I mentioned in my earlier post, ‘Work-space Upgrade, I had to buy equipment to do Voice Over work. I bought a mic and downloaded the software… but that’s only the beginning. I also needed sound panels, to cut extraneous sound. So, back online I went … after viewing what was available (I don’t have the space to build a sound studio) … my partner suggested that I look at the DIY on Youtube – How to make High Performance Sound Absorption Panels for $5.
With a few revisions, I built my own. The 1 ½” finished product was a trifle expensive so I went with the 2” common.
The guy at local building supply were really helpful – he found me 4 boards – approximately 8’ long and agreed to cut it for me and even wrapped the ends up. Easier to carry and cut my work load way back.
Since the wood was stored outside I wanted to ensure that the wood was good and dry… taking advantage of the 26 to 30 degree heatwave.
Gathering my tools
using 3.5 inch wood screws … the 2″ common wood became 4 frames
I bought the towels at a local thrift store laid them out on the floor
stapling the outside towel, then, cutting the inside pieces from additional towels – a large bath towel, gave me 2 pieces per
My frames are free standing, rather than wall mounted and I wanted to attach them together in pairs
I tried sewing the inside pieces to the back panel as suggested but the inside pieces didn’t remain taut. I pulled the stitches and stapled instead …
Stapled on the back, attach the brackets to the 2nd frame and…
My cost was a bit higher than the $5 per but I did add 3 sets of hinges per pair and increased the inside towel pieces to 7. Cost was approximately $8. Still a lot less expensive then buying portable sound panels that would be 2/3 the size.